Saturday, October 9, 2010

Language and Sustainability

     This will just be a quick entry. I just had a somewhat unique and interesting experience and it caused me to write a quick stream of consciousness poem. Now that I am in this class (Eng 370), I have thought more about the reasons that I do things like this. I believe it has to do with one of the class themes (Sustainability). Writing sustains me. When things happen, I write about them. When I was in school and I had to deal with different emotions and the learning process, I wrote poems. When I was in the Army and out of the country, I put down a litte prose as well as poetry. After I got hurt, I didn't write for a bit. That is what makes me think that writing is so important to my (and maybe others') healing process.

     Once I had gotten over the intial stages of that injury, I tried to write. Nothing would come out of it. Once the real issues involved in how I would have to change my life a bit became apparent, I could write again. At my previous job (before I got economy'd), I would write microfiction when I was stressed or maybe express a funny concept as a chart. I did a chart to see what was better, Superman or gold. I also wrote some fake Daily Planet articles (I love Superman) and did a microfiction Superman crossover. I love sharing these with my friends but copyright kept me from putting it on-line for others. Now that I look back, it is clear that writing sustains me.

     Our blog team's theme is 'language and literacy' and that is integral to this theme. It did not occur to me at first that the themes of our class are so vital a part of sustainability. A lot of my private interests involve increasing my writing ability. When I read, study grammar (I know that it's nerdy.), listen to public speakers or music, and even study other topics, I am working to improve my vocabulary and other skills so that I can write more effectively and over broader subject matter. Language and literacy sustains me just as surely as my body sustains my soul. Here is a little poem to prove it. It is about something that happened to me this morning.


I should have had a pickle

Distraction and traction, that was the action
1 truck, 2 trucks, White truck, blue bike
Stop, Turn, Stop, Slide – Superman
Burn
Leg and hand, Face is safe
Adrenaline

Talky talk, nicey nice
Hercules, Bike up right
Everyone - Fun, not fun
Everyone

Aid, lies, paid, buys, call
Waiting…Waiting, done
Nice!

                               -Japheth

5 comments:

  1. Wow this poem really makes me wonder what happened to you this morning! I understand what you are saying about writing, not that it is as much as source of sustainability for me as it most clearly is for you. I think that poetry is an excellent form of expression and thus a good soul-healing technique. I find it interesting that your writers block stemmed from a time of turmoil, sometimes it is the other way around, you know? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Japheth,

    This is a great post and quite interesting. I think it is cool how you incorporated the idea of what sustains you. When I began writing my personal narrative, I trouble deciding which author to model it after. I eventually picked Alexie because I felt that at my age I didn’t know what sustained me. I feel that that is something you learn as you age and it may even change or get stronger with age. However, after reading your post, I think that I might actually have a better idea of that now. Maybe I do know what sustains me. I think, quite possibly, instead not knowing the answer to that question, I was just afraid to think about it or unsure of the possibilities. So many things in life can sustain a person. I think that it isn’t necessary something that comes to you with age, but more like something that increases or intensifies with age. I think writing could be what sustains me, but so could so many other things. I love to write. It helps me cope with my issues. I tend to write about characters that have really bad luck. My characters tend to have lots of Elizabeth traits. I think that is my way of realizing that if the “Elizabeth” can overcome a situation that is far worse than any of mine, then I can overcome my own situation or bad luck.

    Very enlightening post,
    Elizabeth Willbanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post really hit home for me. I used to write a lot in middle and high school. When I was 16 my parents split up. I journaled some, but couldn't really find a way to say what I wanted to say. I was dealing with so much emotionally. It wasn't until college that I really started to write again, and I realized how great it felt to work through that rough period in my life through writing. My personal narrative for class was actually a result of using writing as a tool of sustainability.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I based my personal narrative on as well! Literature and writing has sustained me ever since I weathered some very dark storms in my life a few years ago. People used to sustain me, but people aren't stable. They lie, they move away, they lose touch, they die. The words you write from your soul and the words that have poured from the souls of writers from thousands of years ago have survived; always ready to comfort or inspire us. This, combined with the unfathomable love of family, is what sustains me.

    Awesome poem, by the way. Excellent use of rhyme! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments everyone. It is good to know that we are surrounded by so many amateur writers in this class. I am glad you liked the rhyme scheme 'Autumn'. It is an erratic one, but I think it helps set the frantic pace of the events. Thanks again.
    - Japheth

    ReplyDelete